However, seeing it through adult eyes, some pretty disturbing stuff came to light:
1. Lots of nudity. The fairies, the cherubs, the centaurs in the pool, it goes on and on. While I couldn’t care less about naked cartoons, I feel like if you released that material now, parents would be outraged at the scarring of their “precious miracles.”
2. The whole “Pastoral” scene with the centaurs. If anyone has ever seen the HBO special on the Moonlite Bunny Ranch, you know just what I am talking about. Nude ladies primping so as to parade around and be chosen by a group of men…apparently with nude cherubs serving as the “handlers.” As an adult this has a whole new meaning.
3. Good old family racism, though this may be counterbalanced by the artistic presentation of evolution. I wonder how that would go over if released now…perhaps it is balanced out by the “Noah’s Ark” sequence in
4. The Sorcerer’s Apprentice scarred me for life. Being a bit neurotic even as a child, this segment gave me the same unsettled feelings as The Cat In The Hat. Ummm…pretty sure Mom said to keep it cool…we are so screwed if she catches us.
5. "Night on Bald Mountain", on the other hand, fascinated me. DH has suggested that my being more disturbed by rule breaking than haunted skeletons speaks volumes about my character.
6. The dancing mushrooms in "The Nutcracker Suite" are still the best part of the whole movie. Hands down.
Check out lots of great lists thanks to abdpbt.com.