- Disposable diapers. While the general consensus seems to be that disposables are no more or less environmentally friendly than cloth (see The Diapering Debacle Part II: Environmental Impact for this information) it still makes me feel guilty whenever I toss that big bag o‘ diapers in the dumpster. Same goes for girly products. While I am considering the Diva Cup, I am not sure I can get into cloth for this particular purpose.
- Disinfecting wipes. I love these things and even though I don’t use paper towels and the like, I have cans of these stashed all over the house. They are not eco-friendly, but they keep my house from being condemned by the health department, so I will just deal. Also on this list: Swiffer Wet Jet. This thing generates dirty cleaning pads and tons of empty plastic bits, but man do I love it.
- Refusal to go paperless for bills. I know this will save trees, but given how often my bank, credit card company and various utilities prove they can‘t find their asses with two hands and a map, I like a paper trail.
- Two car family. Even though we live where one car would do, we keep, and run, two. Granted, we will be back to “needing“ both soon, but still, sometimes I feel like I take the car just because it is there and not because we really need to run that errand.
- AC addicts. Here in VA it is often 97F with 97% humidity…at 7am. I know that air conditioning kills the planet, but as a domestic goddess I do not do the heat. Sorry.
- Bleach, detergents etc. While I have made it a goal to switch in greener cleaning choices as we need to replace these items, I will never be able to give up bleach. I love bleach. Nothing says clean like the eye stinging fumes of undiluted bleach.
- Books. While I do use the library, I will always desire the endless killing of trees because I love this traditional format. I can’t really get into books on tape, Kindle and so on. I need to feel that tome in my hands.
Now share with us all here: what is your biggest Eco-Sin?
Listless Mondays brought to you by Anna at abdpbt. Hit the button to see more great lists or add your own.