- Simple lines, clean background- with the exception of those who blog for business and therefore use their sidebars as revenue generating space, I think the plainer the better.
- Black font on white background- sounds obvious but I finally realized it is more comfortable to read stuff written this way, not really sure why, but it is.
- Simple fonts- Arial seems to be the font of choice, but no one who is taken seriously is writing in crazy fonts.
- Cute headers- while the basic outlines and backgrounds do best relatively plain, a bold, but streamlined header seems to claim the space as your own without gumming up the content with lots of graphics and distracting backgrounds.
- Not many blogrolls- or at least simple ones that are not taking top billing. I personally want to keep mine running just because I like it, but it should be a list of good reads and not the main focus of your sidebars.
Any other tips or suggestions? I realize everyone has their preferences, but did I miss any major design elements common to nice blogs?