In the latest twist of internet slactivism a staggering number of people with whom I am FB "friends" posted this little gem:
This sort of blindly patriotic, backwoods gun-toting, violence supporting, pro-censorship bullshit never ceases to surprise and disgust me. The sheer idiocy of getting a hard-on about rights when the whole goal here is to deny another their rights through the use of violence is appalling. When people say things like this they are just as bad as those "Palinites" and their "targeting." I mean really, do people not see how inappropriate and down right stupid this is?
Apparently too many people that I know are:
- Pro-guns/violence as an answer to socio-political issues
- Sure that we are in Iraq due to 9/11
- Fully capable of not seeing the inherent hypocrisy in this statement
- Genuinely convinced that the goal of our military, and its members, is the noble cause of protecting our freedoms from foreign influence
- Of the mind that the US is still a world leader
- Total morons
So yeah, I agree that it is morally reprehensible to protest at a funeral, that doesn't mean we can just remove the right to do so. We can't say that some views are more worthy of protection than others. True freedom doesn't work that way.
The reality is that the day someone in this country loses their right to free speech just because someone doesn't like what they have to say is the day that all our fallen military members have died in vain.