Finally manged to complete All & Sundry's yearly recap...coming soon: 2012 goals.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Became a runner (in the loosest sense of the word), took my girls to Cape Cod and jumped a car (super scary BTW).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year??
I did pretty well and I am making some new ones for 2012.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several of my military ladies had babies this year. Hope it is isn't catching since I no longer looks at babies and yearn for one, I merely think "whew, glad that is over."
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None other than good old USA.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Being more present with my kids. Chris' time on the boat put me in an unfortunate mindset where I often had to scarifice spending my time with the kids to spend it on keeping the plates spinning. Now that the pressure is off I want to enjoy my girls, and our family, more.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't have actual dates, but so much happened this year: my sister got engaged, my little sister got a new horse/job, Chris got relieved (best day ever)...all in all a very nice year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year??
Running a race. Its not like I am some kind of super athlete, but that was way outside of my comfort zone on many levels. I had to make my body do something, I had to do it with other people watching...these are big anxiety things for me.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I do sometimes feel like I could have done more to help Chris when his job was going so terribly. I know it was pretty much out of our hands, but even as hard as we were working I feel like maybe I failed to provide the needed support sometimes.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hilarious UTI debacle and I wrapped up the year with a minor running injury, but nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hands down my Vibram KimodoSports.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, groceries and our horrible take-out habit. Thankfully we also have a compulsive investing habit so we did a 529 for Liz and maxed out our retirement savings too.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Charlie going to school, LEGOKidsFest, learning some new crafting tehcniques and, of course, running.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Oh Darling by Plug in Stereo. Annoying hipster music, but hearing my girls sing this is so awesome.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:?
– happier or sadder? Happier, no more sea duty.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner and faster.
– richer or poorer? About the same.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of??
Spent time with Chris, made better use of all our museum memberships and done more stuff alone.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of??
Stressed out about stupid Navy stuff, been snappish with the kids/Chris and cleaned, oh the stupid, pointless cleaning.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Just the four of us for the big day then a week seeing all the family in NY.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Ditched cable so I got very into BBC stuff on NetFlix: Being Human and Babylong were my favorites. Currently very into: Burn Notice and Blue Mountain State.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Fablehaven Series by Brendan Mull.
21. What was your favorite music from this year??
Can't really narrow this down, I am currently into Classic Rewind on SiriusXM and I am still rocking the Sigh No More album by Mumford & Sons
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I can honestly say that I have not seen a movie in a theater in 4 years...
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29, Chris had duty the night before and did not get home until 10pm. There was Indian food and cupcakes with my kids. It was pretty representative of our lives during that horrible time.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not spending those 6 months on the boat. That did a lot of damage to Chris, to me and to our family. I know people do it all the time, and we would have been fine had we needed to continue, but with the luxury of being out of that situation I can say definitively: it sucked.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Trying to Squeeze in a Workout and Bathe Once Every 24 Hours Chic?
26. What kept you sane?
Running, my girlfriends, my mom, Chris and my kids who always make me feel better no matter what.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Just try something, what is the worst that can happen?