In review, since May all of this has happened:
- Sexual Assault Prevention Chief is investigated for sexual assault.
- Air Force Brochure encourages SA victims to submit. (victim blaming/telling victims to act against their own best interest in terms of pressing charges)
- West Point Cadets secretly filmed in showers.
- Hagel Blames "Hook-Up" culture for increase in SA cases (victim blaming, ageism and classic pretending to care while passing the buck on repsonsibility...I need a phrase for that last one...)
- Naval Academy football players investigated for SA
- Another Sexual Assault Prevention leader under investigation
- Military leaders fail to prepare for 4 day hearing with senators. (I already wrote about this here. Spoiler alert: Chris "works" for Greenert, so you know...awesome.)
- Levin kills plans to remove SA investigations from chain of command
- Soldiers accused of sexual assault involving minors
And these are just the cases we have seen covered by the media...the mind boggles at what might be happening overall. In total: lots of service members are being sexually assaulted/harassed while serving and military leaders are clinging like desperate cast-aways to old entrenched "protect the commanding officer" mentalities. Currently military leadership has presented to the American public a complete disinterest in addressing the problem beyond politically wise sound-bytes and an utter disdain for anyone who dares question the fine upstanding tradition that has led to this situation in the first-place. Fair warning: tomorrows articles will make this lack of progress look like baby-town frolics...gird your loins.